November 5, 2013 Myitkyina
1. The dialogue was held between the Union Peace-Making Work Committee (UPWC) and the Ethnic Armed Organizations at the Majoi Hall, Myitkyina, Kachin State on November 4-5, 2013. The dialogue was attended by the government delegation led by H.E. U Aung Min, Vice Chairman of the Union Peace-Making Work Committee and the delegates from the Ethnic Armed Organizations. Mr. Vajay Nambiar, Special Advisor to the Secretary General of the United Nations on Myanmar and Mr. Wang Ying Fan, Special Envoy on Asia Affairs from the People’s Republic of China attended as observers.
2. In this meeting, a newly formed Nationwide Ceasefire Coordination Team (NCCT) by Ethnic Armed Organizations’ leaders presented and officially submitted “Common Positions of the Ethnic Armed Organizations on Nationwide Ceasefire (Laiza Agreement)” to the Union Peace-Making Work Committee (UPWC).
3. The Union Peace-Making Work Committee (UPWC) officially submitted the draft “Nationwide Ceasefire Agreement between the Union of the Republic of Myanmar and the Ethnic Armed Organizations” to the Nationwide Ceasefire Coordination Team (NCCT).
4. Both parties agree that in order to achieve political agreements, the following tasks must be undertaken:
a. Nationwide Ceasefire
b. Framework for Political Dialogue
c. Holding of Political Dialogues
5. Both parties agree to hold the next round of dialogue in the month of December, 2013 at Hpa-an, Karen State after the Nationwide Ceasefire Coordination Team (NCCT) consults with their respective Ethnic Armed Organizations in order to prepare for the Nationwide Ceasefire Agreement.
6. Both parties are encouraged by the promising collaboration between the parties during this dialogue with an aim to bring an end to more than sixty years of armed conflict in the country and inaugurate political dialogues. Both parties agree and release this joint statement in order to accelerate the process of political dialogues.